“Travel is more than the seeing of sites; it is a change that goes on deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard
Travel has always been something that I have loved since I was a child and that is the way, I recharge myself, put things in perspective when I begin to feel overwhelmed with work or something else in life. I enjoy exploring places, meeting people and learning new things when I do travel.
Since my Arctic adventure in 2001, I usually write up my travelogue or travel notes by the end of each travel I undertake. However, I rarely share it on my blog until a few years pass by. I think it is because it helps me re-read and enjoy remembering the travel experience, while having a clearer mind for editing. Therefore, the travelogues that you read on my blog are reminiscences of travels past.
I had initially run a separate blog for my travel within Sri Lanka and I only shared travels outside of Sri Lanka here on Perspectives Quilt. However, I do not have the time and energy to maintain separate travel blogs as I also run a quite active food blog. Therefore, I decided to merge my travel blogs by transferring my favourite posts on Sri Lankan travel here.
Hope you enjoy reading about my travel explorations!
Tales from Sri Lanka:
- Western province:
- Southern province:
- Northern province:
- Uva province:
- Place of Convergence (Monaragala)
- Central province:
- Eastern province:
- Land of the Singing Fish
- North Central province:
- Exploring the ruins of the ancient city of Polonnaruwa
- North western province:
- Sabaragamuwa province
Exploring the world outside of Sri Lanka:
- Exploring India: Reconnecting in Kerala and Special Six: First Memories of Delhi, En-route to Agra, Highlights of Agra, A morning in Fatehpur Sikri, Exploring Jaipur, An overnight stay in Jodhpur, En-route to Udaipur and the City Palace, Delhi revisited
- Malaysia: Road trip across Malaysia
- Vietnam: Visiting Hanoi, Overnight at Ha Long Bay, Special Six – A day in Ho Chi Minh city
- Maldives: Special Six – Weekend in Malé
- Cambodia: Siem Reap – Sunrise at Angkor Wat, Special Six – Temples at Angkor, Tonle Sap – a photo tour, Special Six – Evenings in Siem Reap
- China: Beijing (Discover Beijing, Great Wall hike, Forbidden City, Special Six – Beijing experiences) and Yunnan (Special Six – Shangri-La Experiences, Kunming Highlights, Tastes of Lijiang, )
- Scandinavian experience: Arctic Lessons, Swedish food I miss, Special Six – Stockholm Art, Stockholm Highlights
- My Italian Holiday: Glimpses of Torino, Exploring Venezia, Visiting Firenze, Siena and San Gimignano, A few hours in Vatican city and Amazing Roma – an open air museum
- Central/ Midlands – Birmingham City Centre Highlights, A morning walk around Oxford city, Special Six: Weekend at Blenheim palace, A day trip to Stratford upon Avon
- East: Treasure hunt in Cambridge
- North east – A walk around Durham,
- South east – London (Special Six series – London Theatres, London Cafes, London Surprises), A weekend at Cumberland Lodge, Special Six – Highlights of Brighton, Day trip to Chawton village
- South west – Bath Experiences (A visit to Bath Christmas market, Roman Baths and a Sally Lunn dinner, Visiting No 1 Royal Crescent, Skyline bus tour and Green Rocket juice, In the neighbourhood of the Circus, A morning at Jane Austen Centre), Special Six – Taunton museum highlights, Wandering along Maunsel Lock, Lacock Abbey and Grounds, Walking around Lacock village, A couple of hours in Castle Combe, Morning at Wells cathedral, Highlights of Wells Bishop’s Palace, Special Six: Glastonbury Abbey
- Scotland (A morning walk in Edinburgh, Homestay in Inverness, Weekend in Isle of Skye),
- Wales (Loving Welsh Food Tour, Special Six – Cardiff Experiences, Cardiff Bay Highlights)
- France: Special Six – Paris Highlights
- Netherlands: A canal cruise in Amsterdam, A day trip out of Rotterdam
- Belgium: Visiting Grote Markt
- Switzerland: A cruise over Lake Geneva
- Poland: Weekend in Gdansk
- Australia – Transit in Sydney
- USA – Special Six – Manhattan highlights, Weekend in Maui, Special Six: East West Centre Experiences, Special Six: Highlights of Oahu, Thanksgiving on the Big Island, Christmas in Washington D.C.